|Adams Media/F+W Media, a fast-paced and innovative publisher of lifestyle books, is looking for a detail-oriented, motivated self-starter to join their hardworking editorial team.|
This is an excellent opportunity to gain experience at a creative publishing company at the forefront of the e-book revolution.
The Associate Acquisitions Editor is responsible for acquiring 50 percent of the Everything series titles. The Editor generates ideas, conducts research, and delivers pitch presentations at weekly Pub Board meetings. The Editor is also responsible for finding authors for with strong credentials and platforms for each title. The Editor works with authors to create acceptable manuscripts and performs the preliminary edit of the submitted work. Copy writing and compiling sales reports are also done by this Editor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
* Acquire a minimum of 30-35 Everything® series titles per year.
* Identify strong categories/titles and conduct research for every proposed title, including competitive titles, statistics and consumer need, and unique selling points.
* Create overall editorial vision for book; identify appropriate authors to write titles.
* Present titles to Managing Editor and Pub Board for approval.
* Negotiate contracts with agents, authors, and packagers according to the signed deal sheet. Gain approval for all expenses pertaining to the book.
* Work with authors to make sure each manuscript conforms to the Everything series format and style. If necessary, continue to work with authors who need additional help: draft revision memos, conduct phone meetings with authors and/or agents, hire additional writers or editors if needed.
* Manage author relations throughout process, in conjunction with development.
* Propose initial cover concept. Write catalog copy for each title. Create subtitles and other front cover copy using identified SEO keywords.
* Create art logs and art manuscripts for books with photos or line art. Work with Production to identify titles that need non-standard interior design.
* Maintain good working relations with agents and repeat authors. Develop new relationships with potential authors and agents.
* Conduct general series research: bestselling titles and categories, competitive titles within categories, and determine new areas of focus.
* Maintain Acquisitions Editor Database and Sales Spreadsheet.
* Compile end-of-year reports on Everything titles and sales as needed.
* Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by management.
* B.A or B.F.A required
* 1-2 years of book publishing and acquisitions experience required
* Knowledge of common office software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook. Familiarity with layout and illustration programs
* Knowledge of book publishing process. Must have previous experience line editing and copy writing.
* Strong writing, collaboration and communication skills are a must, including a proven ability to work directly with authors.
* Proven ability to provide creative approach to market research and product development process.
* Must be organized, detail-oriented and able to manage a varied workload and meet deadlines.