|National Wildlife Federation|
|The Publisher directs the development and implementation of the business strategy to maintain competitive positioning and ensure increased profitability for National Wildlife Federation’s Ranger Rick magazines and derivative digital products. The Publisher provides strategic leadership and financial and personnel management for the publishing business. The Publisher has direct management responsibility for the children’s digital and print magazine circulation, production, operations, and editorial staff. |
The Publisher oversees daily operations including circulation marketing, direct mail, email, display and search marketing, distribution, production and editorial in a manner that provides for continued editorial integrity of the children’s publishing business. In addition, this person is responsible for financial management of the children’s magazines, including revenue forecasts, operating budgets and cash-flow management.
• Develops and implements a strategic plan, supporting goals and objectives, and benchmarks to measure progress toward objectives; updates senior staff as needed.
• Works across departments to leverage NWF’s children’s magazines and digital products and subscriber base to advance NWF’s Kids & Nature Campaigns. In collaboration with other departments build a supporter base of families with children ages 5-12 by leveraging all the relevant NWF programs, products and services.
• In consultation with Editorial Director, Children’s Publications and Senior Director, Online Integration & Production develop the content strategies and content production of print, digital, online and mobile platforms. Participate in the development of an e-newsletter product for children and families, which includes but not limited to children’s magazine products.
• Works collaboratively with Editor in Chief to support team innovation goals, and provide professional development activities.
• Joins with a cross-functional team of senior managers to reinforce a culture of collaboration and openness across the organization
Community and Public Relations
• Assures the National Wildlife Federation and its mission, products and services are consistently presented in strong, positive image.
• Maintains and cultivates positive relations with NWF stakeholders, constituents, client vendors, community partners, and media contacts.
• Raises the visibility of NWF publications in the media and with influencers, funders, and other key constituents.
• Supports Corporate Relations. Licensing and other business development functions and departments in their efforts to generate net revenue, expand NWF’s reach and awareness.
• Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in business preferred.
• Proven record of leadership in magazine publishing business, including direct supervisory experience with proven experience in direct mail, email and related marketing disciplines; minimum 10 years operations management experience with a professional organization (non-profit, media or other related field).
• Experience in digital publishing; must have direct experience with all aspects of magazine publishing, including circulation, distribution, print and web production, advertising, editorial, marketing, finance, and administration.
• Experience in effectively managing budgets, including profit and loss and forecast and management reporting.
• Demonstrated experience developing long-term strategic plans and monitoring progress toward planned goals.
• Experience with multi-platform brand/product development.
• Experience with technology, social media, and data analysis; online media experience preferred.
• Experience managing a diverse staff to develop and achieve common goals.
• Thorough understanding of the challenges facing magazine publishing, especially in the area of circulation.
• Through knowledge of magazine circulation, distribution, production, advertising, editorial, marketing, and budgeting/financial management.
• Must possess skills required to interpret financial data and recognize trends that point to opportunities or potential problem areas.
• Ability to develop a budgeting process built around a thorough understanding of the marketplace and the audience served by the organizations media products. Proven experience innovating established circulation marketing practices to adapt to changing customer habits. Proven ability to contribute to the strategic direction of the organization and translate plans to concrete goals and outcomes.
• Must possess directness, decisiveness and the savvy required to quickly understand NWF’s culture, business issues, and requirements.
• Outstanding communication skills, creative and strategic thinking skills.
National Wildlife Federation is America’s largest conservation organization, passionate about protecting wildlife for our children’s future. NWF is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity.