|Company Information: |
Teacher Created Materials' mission is to publish quality-research based, educational books and materials in all curricular areas for teachers and students at all grade and skill levels. TCM provides a broad spectrum of both quality resources and professional teacher training. While remaining grounded in sound educational practice, TCM likewise, maintains educational vision and an open ear to educators and their changing needs.
Shell Education is a leading supplemental publishing company dedicated to creating high quality professional resources for educators and parents. We have a well respected reputation for ease of use, effectiveness and engaging students. Our product line includes language arts, science, reading, mathematics, social studies and technology in K-12 market. Teacher Created Materials Library, distributed by Shell Education, sells single title fiction and nonfiction readers in both paperback and library binding for classroom and school/public library collections.
Position Summary: The Acquisitions Editor is responsible for commissioning new resources for publication with high potential for market success and developing and maintaining author relationships. The Acquisitions Editor directly reports to the Editorial Director.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities: The Acquisitions Editor is responsible for proposing and commissioning new resources for publication. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: conducting regular market research and competitive analysis, identifying market trends for product development, analyzing sales data, reading and evaluating solicited and unsolicited proposals and manuscripts, working with potential authors to develop ideas into firm and viable proposals for consideration and evaluation, presenting proposals to the Editorial Director and proposal review team, negotiating contract terms with authors in consultation with the Editorial Director, overseeing commissioned manuscripts from initial authoring to completed manuscript, and attending conferences and shows regularly as relevant to education.
The Acquisitions Editor supports the Editorial Director and works in consultation with Marketing and Sales to support the marketing and sales efforts of each new title released in the division. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: holding regular meetings with Marketing and authors to discuss potential marketing opportunities; working with Marketing to create a marketing plan for each new title; reviewing and offering guidance on back cover and marketing ad copy; suggesting new and creative opportunities for the marketing and promotion of products, authors, and the Shell Education brand; and training the sales staff on upcoming products and providing key strategies for sales.
The Acquisitions Editor will also handle other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s and Advanced degree required
• past teaching experience in grades preK–12 required
• proven track record of commissioning and/or developing successful products
• minimum 3–5 years of editorial experience, preferably in the education market
• familiarity with current education research and market trends
• in-depth understanding and use of the Microsoft Office Suite of programs
• excellent leadership and organizational skills
• ability to communicate clearly and effectively in verbal and written communications
• a high degree of professionalism and enthusiasm for the company and its mission
• ability to travel regularly
• Sit for extended periods of time; including at a computer.
• Occasional lifting up to 40 lbs.
• Repetitive hand and wrist movements for frequent use of computer keyboard and mouse.
• Regular travel, including via airplane, to offsite meetings and tradeshows
• Occasional bending, stooping, and kneeling for tradeshow set-ups
Work Conditions: General office work conditions, as well as regular travel to offsite conferences and tradeshows.
How to Apply:
Teacher Created Materials is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Employment Opportunity employer. If you are interested this position, please go to www.tcmpub.com/careers to complete an application and submit with your resume and cover letter. Forms can be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference to Job ID# AcqEdtr0813 in the subject line. Submissions without a completed application, resume, and cover letter will not be considered.